"Barbara Duprey" <Barb@onr.com> wrote in message news:4CC0BA20.70600@onr.com...
On 10/20/2010 11:50 PM, Drew Jensen wrote:

<snip>

Every web forum I know of send notification email to the original poster
whenever a response is posted to a thread they created.

Well now, that's *very* interesting! I clearly haven't used forums in too long, I've never seen this. It still doesn't help with a forum analog of this conversation, though, since I didn't originate this thread.

With that in mind there is no real difference between traditional mail
lists and web forums for the majority of end user support questions.

<snip>

In the web forums I've used it has *not* been the default. In other words I've had to remember to tick the box to get automatic mail notifications. But that's a once-only thing as far as *my* questions are concerned; you do it when you register. I don't *know* but I suppose it could be set as the default behaviour when the forum is initially established.

In a different thread I suggested that registering LibreOffice automatically registers you for the Forum and, in addition, a Support button on LibO's toolbar takes the registered user directly to that forum with the "automatically send me e-mail answers" option pre-set. If the user didn't register LibO then that Support button simply displays text about registering and getting support.

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England