As I mentioned before, the opendesktop.org website like kde-look.org,
gnome-apps.org, InkscapeStuff.org, and so on seem to be a better way,
to me, to distribute extensions, templates, and other add-ons.  The
websites are specifically designed for this, and they implement a
freedesktop.org standard called Get Hot New Stuff, or GHNS, which is
specifically designed to allow programs to search for, identify,
categorize, retrieve, and update add-ons.

They are used extensively by both gnome and kde for distributing
everything from wallpapers and color schemes to desktop widgets and
file manager extensions, and they appear to have a mechanism to filter
out results that are not compatible with the current version of
whatever program is trying to install them.

Rather than wasting the time and effort to design an entire new system
from scratch, I think it would be better to use an existing standard
tool like this, especially if the goal is to play well with the rest
of the open-source ecosystem.

Thanks for this excellent description of the OpenDesktop.org system. Now I finally understand its purpose and why some people are pushing it. It could be that many users like myself, have no idea of what opendesktop.org does.

So just to simplify it for those who are like me and who do not realize the process behind the opendesktop.org update system (I'll use KDE4.5.X as an example): *** please correct these if I am wrong ***

If you want to update your wallpaper, you can right-click on the desktop area, choose "Folder view settings" and then "Get more wallpapers", this will connect you with the kde-look.org (hosted by opendesktop.org) and it will get for you the latest wallpapers from the site. This is also used if you want to change you KDE themes or ... on the KDE desktop. All of these updates are taken care of by the opendesktop.org standard. (The same has apparently been adopted by the Gnome people too.)

The suggestion here, is that rather than having different Linux distros using their own updating process (rpm, deb, ...), LibO could adopt the opendesktop.org standard. This will reduce the amount of work needed when a new version of LibO is announced.

This to me makes a lot of sense as far as making the updating of LibO as painless as possible. I imagine if a Linux distro wanted to make LibO conform to its look and feel, they could then use their own devs and take care of this on their own. But, from LibO's point of view I vote this a good idea.

Marc