2010/10/8 Marc Paré <marc@marcpare.com>:
So just to simplify it for those who are like me and who do not realize t
he
process behind the opendesktop.org update system (I'll use KDE4.5.X as an
example): *** please correct these if I am wrong ***

If you want to update your wallpaper, you can right-click on the desktop
area, choose "Folder view settings" and then "Get more wallpapers", this
will connect you with the kde-look.org (hosted by opendesktop.org) and it
will get for you the latest wallpapers from the site. This is also used i
you want to change you KDE themes or ... on the KDE desktop. All of these
updates are taken care of by the opendesktop.org standard. (The same has
apparently been adopted by the Gnome people too.)

The suggestion here, is that rather than having different Linux distros
using their own updating process (rpm, deb, ...), LibO could adopt the
opendesktop.org standard. This will reduce the amount of work needed when
new version of LibO is announced.

There is a tiny bit of missing info here ;)
The kind of stuff you find on kde-look.org weights no more than some
hundreds of KiB (maybe, a bit more of a MiB but usually a lot less)
while a normal LibO install is near 170 MiB...
These sites are for add-ons only (walpapers, plasmoids...): nothing
more, nothing less.
Non package manager installs must be avoided by normal users (the risk
to end with a mess is too high), and power users will not have
problems with installing "by hand" whatever they need.
For example, right now I have:
OOo 3.2.1 vanilla (for real work)
OOo 3.2.1 Novell build (for multimedia ppts that arrives to my inbox)
OOo 330m9 (testing)
OOo 300m89 (testing)
LibO 3.3 beta1 (testing)
(yes, I'm a compulsive tester... ;) )
everything running without conflicts on a single account and without
problems... but I do not recommend this for normal users.
I cannot speak for other OSs, but best way to install things on Linux
is through repositories. Second best way to install things on Linux is
using "by hand" your package manager (.tar.gz files with rpms or
debs). Everything else is only for crazy people.
Remember: users are human beings, not computer geeks ;)