Hi *,

Cor Nouws wrote (29-10-11 00:16)

Now I wonder: what about the future of forums for LibreOffice?
It looks convenient to have all at one place. On the other side:
LibreOffice will grow to be different more and more. Different code
base, more functions.
So apart from that it is maybe not fair ;-) to profit too much on the
work of the forums at Apache (when life), it will be increasingly
insufficient for our own users.
Well, that is one way I could look at it.
But of course having own LibreOffice forums ask resources and especially
time..

What do other people think about this?

So looking at the contributions to this discussion so far - many thanks for those :-) - I see various subjects:
- about technical possibilities;
- some with politics;
- and the question itself.

Reading the various opinions, sooner or later, there will be fora, that are clearly recognised as linked to LibreOffice. Indeed, it is clear that there are various already in different languages.

For some time, I could personally live quite well with a forum that is clearly, visibly, independent serving LibreOffice and other suites. Since suggestions made in that direction seem to be more political than technical feasible, I can leave that illusion.
So the questions seems more: when are we going to create our own, then if.

Then there is the question about the technical background. I see lots of useful ideas and info on those. Obviously the solution must scale and allow for various languages.
Is there any need to hurry?
A first thing that could be done anyway, is creating the 'portal' to the forum, the link, on the website, so that is clearly shows our intention and where we are heading for?

Best

--
 - Cor
 - http://nl.libreoffice.org