On 09/10/2011 07:31 AM, Ken Springer wrote:
On 9/9/11 11:24 PM, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:

On 09/09/2011 06:05 PM, Ken Springer wrote:
Read it many times. I remain unconvinced. Their points assume a single
style of reading email.

I don't think I agree totally. I think their points apply to reading newsgroups, not email. :-) I think the two should be kept separate since they server different purposes.

Ahh, yes indeed. You are correct sir.

Seriously, though, I checked the source for your message, and we both are using Thunderbird 6.

Within the last week, I learned about the QuoteCollapse add-on. It takes each quoted section of a reply, and collapses it to one line. There's a little plus sign that will let you expand that section to full length. It's great for those posts where there's been no trimming, but lots of replies.

I usually avoid add-ons because I consider them a potential cause for instability (well, it seemed true for web browsers). In this case, however, I made an exception. Very nice indeed. That certainly helps with all those gratuitous posters.

If they care, they should write it. Yes.

Or, given the resources they have, a dedicated netiquette page is just too far down the priority list, and/or no one has offered to do it.

Those that feel strongly about it should push it through and do the work. I do not want them to make the decision that only bottom posting should be done. I have no desire for them to do this, I just want people to play nice.

--
Andrew Pitonyak
My Macro Document:http://www.pitonyak.org/AndrewMacro.odt