Hi BRM, *,

BRM schrieb:
From: plino <pedlino@gmail.com>

[..]

Even the GPL does not provide that right. If a company wanted it could
take a GPL product, make whatever changes it wanted, and distribute
it internally to itself without ever contributing back to the
community as a whole.

True. Anyone using it for his own can do so.

Likewise, it could also distribute that same project to its customers,
making the source available to them and them alone.

True, they even can demand a fee for it.

The community will may never see any changes from them; yet that is
perfectly valid under all Open Source licenses - even the GPL.

Not true. If one of those customers goes ahead and publishes the source
code, that company can't forbid. This is covered by the GPL. That means:
If IBM put copyleft code (LGPL/GPL) in symphony then I could by a copy,
require the source code and publish it.

Nothing forces people to work with the community. No license can do
that.

right, but Your example lacks the point I told.

So please do yourself a favor and put that notion - the myth -
aside.

50% myth remaining ;o)).

[..]

they only have to provide the source (in that case) to the end-users
_upon request_ for up to 3 years for each version they release from
the time they make the "sale". (See the GPL license.)

Which is enough time to get it, even if donations have to be collected
;o))

Under the Apache  license any company can take your code, fix it and
say: "Hey, this function  in the open source version doesn't work. I
just spend a day fixing it  (instead of  months to write it from
scratch). Why don't you buy mine  which works?"

They can do that under the GPL too.

But we can get it back then. Thats a notable difference ;o))

Gruß/regards
--
Friedrich
Libreoffice-Box http://libreofficebox.org/