 ----- Original Message ----

From: Thorsten Behrens <thb@documentfoundation.org>
To: BRM <bm_witness@yahoo.com>
Cc: discuss@documentfoundation.org
Sent: Wed, May 18, 2011 5:34:38 AM
Subject: Re: [tdf-discuss] Re: OpenOffice dead and burried?

BRM wrote:
In some cases, the community decision was aligned with  the
members, but they stilled didn't take to the decision through  the
community but through what they wanted so it the decision  seemed
more forced on the community than decided by the community even  in
those cases

well, the thing with decision  making is that invariably, you'll make
people unhappy - that said, the  canonical answer to your problem is,
strive for, and apply for membership. In  contrast to the OOo
project, members collectively have a true say  here.
- e.g. go back and read the Copyright Assignment  discussion.

Um - surely that's a bad example for deciding against the  community
- since all of the developer community made it abundantly clear  that
they don't like copyright assignment so much?  ;)

You missed the point. That was actually an example where they made the right
decision but for the wrong reason. Yes the developers were overwhelmingly for
not having any copyright assignment; however, the 3 people founding TDF at the
time decided long before the community came to that decision not to do it and
didn't really even listen to the community, participate beneficially in the
discussion, etc. So as I said, the decision seemed forced upon the community
rather than decided by the community even though the community did agree on that
issue.

On the other hand, there were discussions regarding the GO-OO patches as well as
whether or not to support writing OOXML - topics that were sidelined in favor of
a decision by the same 3 people rather than listening to the community. So
again, decisions that affect the community - some of which have potentially
legal impacts and pitfalls - were decided not by the community but forced by a
couple people.

While I was originally optimistic that TDF/LO would be better than Sun/Oracle
OOo, as a result I have yet to see that happen.
That's not to say it isn't happening or the community isn't taking over - I'm
just waiting a bit longer to see.

So for now yes, I continue to use OOo. If TDF/LO shows it is truly a community
project and not ruled by a benevolent few that are forcing the hands of the
community, then I will likely switch over and start participating more - until
then I shall continue to watch.

Ben