----- Original Message ----

From: Alexander Thurgood <alex.thurgood@gmail.com>
Le 17/05/11 12:49, plino a écrit :
What do they  mean by "handing it back"? Are they giving up on the
OpenOffice
 brand?

Can someone from TDF shed some light?

Nobody  seems to know, or if they do, they are keeping wraps on it. The
people still  around on the openoffice.org lists are equally at a loss as
to what is really going on. Oracle has just  shutdown comms. On the
German OOo discuss list, some people have been  alluding to the fact that
the lights are being switched off in Hamburg where  the majority of OOo
development took place, and I have noticed a distinct  reduction of input
from Oracle employees on the OOo lists for a while now,  not a complete
lack, but certainly a significant reduction bordering on the  void.

Not saying that this is related at all, but the timing was rather interesting on
the whole situation.
I was at a conference in late March where a presenter talked about OpenOffice
and LibreOffice for business uses; a couple Oracle folks were there.
Over the course of it, we ended up mentioning the Copyright Assignment issue and
the LibreOffice would be able to get updates from OpenOffice but not vice versa
as a result - at least those two employees were not aware of that issue.
So, don't know what's happening, and not saying that's related at all, but it
was just very interesting timing overall.

Personally I hope Oracle doesn't drop the ball on it and that OpenOffice proper
can become a true community lead project as I haven't yet seen anything from the
leadership of TDF to give me confidence they are not doing the same thing they
blamed Oracle for, just in a slightly different fashion. (Thus why I've been
lurking more.)

Ben