Hi Ian

Le 2011-05-13 05:27, Ian Lynch a écrit :

Thanks for the info on the INGOTs.

Having served on committees in charge of software acquisition, both at local and provincial level, I find the greatest reluctance on adopting is simply "networking". While many of our school districts would like to move to LibreOffice, the vast majority rely on recommendations from their IT departments which are MS certified. In order to provide greater acceptance of our product we need to supply solid support from the point of view its "network-ability". IT departments need to know that LibreOffice will work on their network and if there are problems that help is readily available. If there is no such service then the cost/seat is irrelevant -- MS Office is then kept.

So, in my mind, we (the LibreOffice membership) should establish efficient "national" network help support. That is to say, for example, in my case, IT departments would have support help from LibreOffice.ca. There should also be "for profit" support available locally should IT departments prefer to acquire this support.

We could easily promote both support models on a national scale if we were to have enough national developers attracted to our project alongside a certification programme. Perhaps to start off, we could offer free certification for dev's interested in the networking programming area of LibreOffice ... just to "seed" such a programme.

--------
As a side note -- Dev's interested in the "networking", "connectivity" of LibreOffice would also need access to a network "lab" of computers to expand/trouble-shoot network related issues. LibreOffice could maybe establish regional headquarters where it would fund labs where devs could physically work on networking issues. Research and development funds could be raised with this purpose in mind.
--------

Cheers

Marc