Hi Ian et al

Le 2011-05-13 15:07, Ian Lynch a écrit :

--------
As a side note -- Dev's interested in the "networking", "connectivity" of
LibreOffice would also need access to a network "lab" of computers to
expand/trouble-shoot network related issues. LibreOffice could maybe
establish regional headquarters where it would fund labs where devs could
physically work on networking issues. Research and development funds could
be raised with this purpose in mind.
--------

All of this takes resources so its a bit of a Catch 22.

Well, not really a Catch 22. We are the opensource company trying to market our software. So, as we have quite a large user base (at one point there was talk that 100 million users using OOo), we should be able to fundraise enough to fund such projects.

I think it's all a matter of choices and strategy. The TDF/LibreOffice should devote part of its fundraising funds to establish corporate headquarters somewhere and use their offices or a network lab as testing facilities for networked LibreOffice install/use.

We need to offer a solid product that is easily installed over a network of computers as well as assure that updates are done with the least amount of disturbances and ease. Incremental updates are best done rather than deleting/replacing the whole product.

School districts/boards should be considered in the same way we would view large corporations. In most cases, school districts have to deal with hundreds of networked computers. Office suites are installed/updated remotely over the network. This is where LibreOffice, if interested in penetrating the educational/academic circles, needs to work on. Our devs would then need access to a lab of networked computers to test LibreOffice network-ability.

Cheers

Marc