Le 2011-05-11 17:01, Samuel M a écrit :
I believe, that The Document Foundation can employ Developers for LibreOffice. I believe the
community is able to get the money for that on a monthly base.

We saw that the community was able to rise 50.000€ in 8(!) days. It will be possible to get that
money in a year for one full-time developer.
These two examples show that this works even over a longer period of time (note that these projects
are much smaller than LibreOffice):
- Ardour (http://ardour.org): $4500 are raised every month to pay the main developer
- Linux Mint (http://linuxmint.com): $5500 were raised in April to pay the main developer

Despite from having full-time developers, for volunteer developers it would be nice to get money
for fixing a specific bug / implementing a feature. Ardour has such a system where you can donate
for a specific issue: http://ardour.org/bugbounty
I think something like this would bring great benefit to LO, since users can show what they want to
be fixed most and developers get some money for coding (or at their option donate it to TDF).

To be honest, if we could convince most school districts in any country to adopt the use of LibreOffice as their main suite, dropping MSO and contributing a small percentage of their "per seat" cost savings, then we could see some distrcits paying to have accessibility issues worked on or some other aspect of LibreOffice that would be of interest to them.

For example, a "per seat" cost for some districs in Canada cost around $50/seat for MSO. In my school district, we have approximately 10,000 computers. If my school district were to adopt LibreOffice and offer to the LibreOffice project an amount of $150,000, my district would still be saving approximately $350,000/year (note: I am just using the $50/seat as an hypothetical amount and I do not know the true amount for my board).

Imagine, if we could accomplish this for the province where I live, we could potentially have access to approximately 72 districts. The amount of saving on the school district/provincial level would be extremely high and we could benefit from a larger amount of $$$. In this example $11 million dollars from 1 province in Canada if this model were followed.

So, yes, there are certainly some models that could be followed in fund raising that could prove advantageous to the LibreOffice project and users.

Cheers

Marc