On 04/25/2011 05:07 AM, drew wrote:
On Mon, 2011-04-25 at 12:27 +0200, Christian Lohmaier wrote:

It is the impression that the user will
get. Clicking a donate button is a voluntary choice by the user
clicking that button. Being presented/forced to view an advertisement
is not an optional thing.

Was not the user forced to view the donate advertisement, that is what
it is after all, an advertisement.

The user of a display ad is not forced to click on it.

The biggest problem I have with ads on a forum is the impression it makes on a new user. If I go to a forum for the first time and I see no ads, a lot of users logged in, and a lot of recent activity, I know I have something good. This is the goal we should have for a new LibreOffice forum. A site with ads detracts from the community-supported, community-driven impression that I would like to see LibO make. A donate button does not detract from this impression, IMHO.

From a no-ads standpoint, http://www.oooforum.org and http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/ set good examples -- they only have the logo of the forum sponsor, which is fine. The problem with those is that they use the name ooo, and one is sponsored by Oracle, so I think using them is not in the long-term interest of LibO.

Since we are starting from scratch with a forum, I think we should set it up properly, without ads. If that means waiting a couple of months to find a sponsor willing to do it, it's worth the wait, in my view. I like the domain libreofficeforum.org, so hopefully the owner will be willing to give it up.

     ----Jon