Kohei Yoshida:
So, as Michael says, I'm not a big fan of people submitting patches to
both projects.  And yes, it will create extra work for us but not
necessarily for them since we pull their changes but they don't pull
ours.

That's kind of like saying, "lets keep working on our project, but
hope that OOo stagnates and doesn't change". Any time OOo changes in
an area that LO has patched, you will encounter this kind of problem.
If ODF fixes a bug, it's likely that the OOo people will also fix that
bug, possibly in a very different way. So, it isn't really "making
more work", given that this is going to happen anyway, and submitting
the bug fix to both projects will simplify things where OOo accept the
patch more or less as-is. Which would you prefer, "OOo and LO both
apply Patch X", or "LO applies Patch X and OOo applies Patch Y"?

Phil Hibbs.
--
Don't you just hate self-referential sigs?