Hi Michael, *,

Michael Meeks wrote (16-02-11 18:36)
        This question prolly belongs best on the dev list.

On Wed, 2011-02-16 at 15:28 +0100, Christophe Strobbe wrote:
1. Now imagine that I contribute code to LibreOffice and the
contribution is accepted. Is it then still acceptable (from a
copyright point of view) to sign the Oracle Contributor Agreement and
submit the same code to OpenOffice.org?

        Yes - on the other hand, this creates more work for LibreOffice, and
(of course) lots of work for you submitting code to OO.o - signing and
faxing a form, CWS creation, etc. etc. That's fine of course by me, but
when it comes to merging (the inevitably different) changes from OO.o it
just makes even more work when we merge that stuff in. So this practise
is essentially not recommended.

:-) I know that you are very careful preventing that precious developer time is spoiled, which of course is very just.

Reading Christophes question though, I see the route that people contribute code both to LibreOffice and OpenOffice.org. It is right that this (which indeed is perfect possible) will give extra work for the people contributing, but I do not see why that should create extra work for LibreOffice, since the code already has been contributed here.

Kind regards,
Cor

2.b. Can I contribute the code to LibreOffice while the acceptance of
my patch to OpenOffice.org is still pending?

        So - if it is licensed under LGPLv3+/MPL we are happy to accept it -
please post it to the dev list, we're eager to see it :-) if Oracle owns
the copyright[1], but you can license it to us under LGPLv3+/MPL, I (for
one) don't much mind who owns it :-)

        But again, you consume LibreOffice engineering resource doing merging
changes, and our life is easier if you don't do that in most cases :-)

        ATB,

                Michael.

[1] - and their assignment-cum-license is a pretty thorough way of
giving away your rights.