I have a question about licences and copyright. As many of you know, contributing code to the core of OpenOffice.org requires that one signs the Oracle Contributor Agreement [1] (which is identical to the Sun Contributor Agreement). Extensions are exempt from this [2].

1. Now imagine that I contribute code to LibreOffice and the contribution is accepted. Is it then still acceptable (from a copyright point of view) to sign the Oracle Contributor Agreement and submit the same code to OpenOffice.org?

2. Conversely, if I sign the Oracle Contributor Agreement and submit code (and it gets accepted, otherwise the copyright reverts to me), can I then still submit the same code to LibreOffice or would that cause problems for LibreOffice (because Oracle now shares copyright of the code I submitted)? 2.b. Can I contribute the code to LibreOffice while the acceptance of my patch to OpenOffice.org is still pending?

These are important questions for developers who don't want to take sides for or against OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice. If this has already been clarified in a wiki somewhere, please let me know. (I have searched the web but I haven't found any info on this.)

[1] <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Oracle_Contributor_Agreement>
[2] <http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/faq-licensing.html#usinglicenses>: Licensing FAQ: Contributing Works

Best regards,

Christophe

PS: As long as this issue has not been clarified, certain contributions will be published as an extension instead of a submission to the core.

--
Christophe Strobbe
Kasteelpark Arenberg 10 bus 2442