On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Jason Corfman <jkcorfy@gmail.com> wrote:
I've been reading through this discussion (as much as possible), and there
is one thing that that I don't understand.

Why do we have so many people complaining about LO writing in the .docx
format but nobody (that I've seen) is complaining about the .doc format?
Both are Microsoft formats, but the docx format is a lot closer to being an
open standard. (Notice, I said it was closer, not that it was, an open
standard). At least the docx format has some released specifications (as
inaccurate as they may be), the last I checked, .doc doesn't even have that.

The docx format is a scam in my view (read some of the links in the
original message of this thread for background on that opinion). Until
MS complies fully with the open standards, the only value of docx is
to subvert truly open software. This is a pattern in MS' behavior over
time. I don't like that in the US, computer science in high school
consists of Word and Excel training. But that's the way it is.

That said, I trust in the open community environment of LibreOffice.
The comments and clarifications from Italo Vignoli, Olivier Hallot,
Charles-H. Schulz (apologies if I missed anyone) from The Document
Foundation demonstrate a willingness to listen and guide LibO
development in a reasoned fashion. Even though I don't appreciate the
steps Microsoft took to get their file format approved by the
standards body, the fact is that it is approved (I realize that there
are nuances to that.) The Document Foundation faces a difficult task
bringing an open office suite into being. I was overjoyed to hear
about LibreOffice. It is a bold, risky adventure. It faces major
challenges.

Consequently, I defer to TDF's sensibility about this situation; I'll
support whatever they decide on this issue. The final chapters on
docx/OOXML have not been written. Italo's statement of a philosophy of
FOR is exactly right IMHO.

The fact that this email thread exists, that it allows for all manner
and strength of opinion, is testimony to the strength of open source
software. It also illustrates a guiding principle of TDF.

To The Document Foundation, thank you. Thank you for starting this
project, for listening, for creating LibO in a meritocracy.

Carl Symons