Hi Marc,

Le 14/12/10 16:12, Marc Paré a écrit :

I think that most are under the impression, as I, that the Silverstripe
will be migrated to the final Drupal website within the next 6 months as
detailed in the SC declaration. You may also review Michael Wheatlands
notes on this here:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.website/145

My aim was not to criticise the development that has been done or is
underway, with regard to the website, but simply to point out that a
degree of uncertainty was sufficiently present in people's minds as to
provoke a longwinded discussion on the mailing list. As far as I was
concerned, I thought the SC had already decided that the site currently
under development with Silverstripe CMS would be migrated to Drupal in
the coming months. Unfortunately, I think that the consequence of that
is that people who might want to contribute are waiting off until the
Drupal site comes online, rather than getting stuck in with Silverstripe
and producing content. Why else are we still running around trying to
drum up enough content to put the various bits of the Silverstripe site
online. The German group is debating at the moment as to the
appropriateness of even making their site live if the English site is
still considered "under development", incomplete or dare I say it "too
verbose". As far as I know, the French group is ready to go. I have no
idea about the others, as I'm not subscribed to any of the other
language specific groups. This is what I mean by lack of a centralized
body making decisions. We could all just hang around for another 3
months, or actually put the sites up. Who ultimately makes those
decisions ? Does it really matter anyway, so long as we are providing
our respective communities with relevant information ?

I certainly can't speak for the SC on those questions, or the governing
board as and when it manages to materialise.

My point is that people doubted what had been decided with regard to
what was supposed to be happening and that this doubt is the result of a
lack of clearly transcribed decision making, or alternatively a lack of
sufficient communication towards those members of the community who are
volunteering to do the work. Yes, people can read the transcripts of the
conference calls, but what they need are easily accessible header points
clearly stating where we are going, how we are going to achieve it, and
the estimated time frame for doing so. I don't mean just with regard to
the website, I mean with regard to the project as a whole.

If you look at the documentation, you will see we are in a similar
quandry / state of flux with regard to how we are getting organised,
which workflow we will be using and which tools are adapted to that
task. In my experience, Direction doesn't just occur through Brownian
motion, it is given by leadership in some shape or form (not that I wish
to be the leader by any means). It is the general overall fuzziness at
the moment which leaves me somewhat perplexed, and I can't see this
being resolved until a legal entity is in place that will have some form
of system to channel people's ardours and optimise and harness their
willingness to contribute to the project.

Just my 2c.

Alex