On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 12:34 PM, T. J. Brumfield <enderandrew@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Benjamin Horst <bhorst@mac.com> wrote:
From a broad view of future success, tablets merit a great deal of
attention on our part. As I mentioned elsewhere, a "LibreOffice Touch" for
tablets would be huge. We'd "outflank" our main opponent, capture vast new
markets and develop great momentum, and then with that increased strength,
address the initial marketplace (of PC desktops and laptops) with a much
larger arsenal at our disposal.

That sounds great. I think it could be a strong growth market, and help push
not only OSS, LibreOffice, etc. but also the ODF format. However I think the
key to that strategy is jumping out in front quickly. GoogleDocs can already
by accessed via the web on tablets, and Microsoft has their online office
offerings.

LibreOffice would need a slim build with a tablet UI, and it would need one
quickly. Is there developer bandwidth for such a project? I think this would
be a good Google Summer of Code project that could get some funding and a
new developer that way, but I'm not sure the work could be handled by a
single developer over a summer.

Nokia is already developing a mobile/tablet version of Koffice for Meamo/Meego.