In data mercoledì 27 ottobre 2010 21:41:20, Marc Paré ha scritto:

I don't think I would favour this. There is too much potential for
gathering data from users and we could really run in trouble if
criticism were to spread that we are data mining our LibO users.

Is there anything like that on the debian project?

Ubuntu can gather data form its package manager, if the user enables it.

The point is how much the user is aware of the process and how much
transparent the process is.
If you warn the user and he/she accepts to enable the gathering, I think there
will be no problems. Behind the data collection, limited to name,
organization, e-mail, country, and OS and language used, there should be
*always* the acceptance and the decision of the user.

Anyway, I think also that a request of registration during installation is
acceptable. You can add, optionally, some check boxes to activate for mailing
list subscriptions, eg. user, discuss, announce, and so on, so that the user
who subscribe can receive info and news. This could be an idea, also.

Ciao
--
Valter
Registered Linux User #466410  http://counter.li.org