Le 2010-10-28 03:52, Sveinn í Felli a écrit :
Þann fim 28.okt 2010 07:09, skrifaði Valter Mura:
In data mercoledì 27 ottobre 2010 21:41:20, Marc Paré ha scritto:

I don't think I would favour this. There is too much potential for
gathering data from users and we could really run in trouble if
criticism were to spread that we are data mining our LibO users.

Is there anything like that on the debian project?

Ubuntu can gather data form its package manager, if the user enables it.

KDE has an automatic usage survey/bugreporting in the case of a crash,
you have to install some kernel headers for it to be of any real help
though.

The point is how much the user is aware of the process and how much
transparent the process is.
If you warn the user and he/she accepts to enable the gathering, I
think there
will be no problems. Behind the data collection, limited to name,
organization, e-mail, country, and OS and language used, there should be
*always* the acceptance and the decision of the user.

Maybe more users would participate if such a proposition was anonymous
(an occasional popup asking whether some usage data might be sent to the
devs); region, locale, OS, software version and usage stats should suffice.
If worded adequately, people should feel they're offering help for
further development for the benefit of all users.

Anyway, I think also that a request of registration during
installation is
acceptable. You can add, optionally, some check boxes to activate for
mailing
list subscriptions, eg. user, discuss, announce, and so on, so that
the user
who subscribe can receive info and news. This could be an idea, also.

+1

Maybe such a popup, asking whether one would like to register and/or
send usage data, should be activated a bit later than right after
installation ?
First time users may think it's a bit bullying/alienating having this
coming up right after installation. If this pops up after some days or a
certain number of launches, then the users have become a bit accustomed
to the software and may thus be a bit less overwhelmed by this
additional information. Just a hunch.

regards,

Sveinn í Felli

Good points Sveinn.