On 10/20/2010 05:40 PM, Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
I am appalled at the level of hostility and contempt being expressed by
a few people regarding the support of ordinary users -- our customers.

Why are we expending so much time and energy to produce the best office
software, if we're not going to do our best to support our customers at
their own level of knowledge and experience? I know it's early days for
having a full support system in place, but we should recognise and
respect the need for a full support system and work towards it... not
say "I have no respect for..." people whose wants, needs, and level of
understanding are different from ours.

While I didn't use those words, and I don't know if you are addressing me, I certainly have expressed strong opinions, so I take your point, and I will try to be more respectful.

Sometimes, people haven't been so much asking for help as they have been complaining (justifiably). It's hard to make a foundation, a website, a wiki, governing principles, a mailing list, press releases, etc., come off without a hitch -- all while producing top quality code! I think the proper response to a valid complaint is to acknowledge the deficiency, and suggest/implement ideas on how it could be fixed. When I believe a complaint is not justified, or not a priority, the response is more difficult to make without sounding harsh. But I will make a concerted effort to take a positive attitude on the list, and always be helpful where I can. Thanks, Jean, for asking for this.

     ----Jon