 +1
Miguel Ángel
On 21/10/10 2:40, Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
I am appalled at the level of hostility and contempt being expressed by
a few people regarding the support of ordinary users -- our customers.

Why are we expending so much time and energy to produce the best office
software, if we're not going to do our best to support our customers at
their own level of knowledge and experience? I know it's early days for
having a full support system in place, but we should recognise and
respect the need for a full support system and work towards it... not
say "I have no respect for..." people whose wants, needs, and level of
understanding are different from ours.

We must all do everything we can, within reason, to make the support
process as easy and friendly as possible, given the limitations of our
resources. Even when it's obvious to us that the user's problem is their
own inability to follow instructions, we must do our best to not insult
them. You might think someone isn't worth spending time on, but you
never know who might have influence on a large group of potential users
that we do want. Some obnoxious, clueless person (or his/her spouse,
friends, adult children, or business colleagues) just might be in a
position to make decisions about the software choices of a school, a
business, or a government; do you want to blow them all away because of
what a few volunteers here do?

If you don't want to expend the time and energy to support people at
their own level, that's okay. Just don't get directly involved with
users; do something else.
</rant>

--Jean