On 2010-10-20 12:32 PM, Larry Gusaas wrote:
Gmane has most of the Document Foundations lists (except developer and
announce) set as public. If you subscribe to this list through gmane the
message will be sent but will not get posted to the list. No bounce
message will be sent to the poster.

The new user will wonder what happened to their message and blame the
project. Imagine this is on the user list with a newcomer trying to get
help. They likely will get rid of LibreOffice if they perceive that they
can't get help. Very unprofessional.

So someone just needs to get the list changed to non-public... :)

So now we have a list that you must enrol to get help and non-pubic.

If there is so much time wasted dealing with non-subscribers, then we need to re-evaluate our lists and take a close look at what we are doing wrong. Our LibO suite is so popular that so many new users call on us for help. Then we should do, clearly, the opposite and open our lists without sign-ups and offer our help to everyone unconditionally. There is no need to create a "gated" community.

Marc