Le 2010-10-18 12:15, Michel Gagnon a écrit :
Le 2010-10-18 11:51, Mounier Jacques a écrit :

Hi everyone,

* Improvements to the footnotes. ...

I actually like them with 1[tab]TextOfNote, but I don't mind more
flexibility.

* "Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style"

There is one fairly simple solution, which is to add space BEFORE
paragraphs rather than after them. Ever since Word 6 I have always
defined styles that way and it solves most problems : I put more space
before headers, only 6-pt space before normal paragraphs and 2 or 3-pt
space before bullets, and I seldom correct these values.

Which brings a few other suggestions:

- Program default styles with some "space before" the paragraph and no
space after them.
- Program less default styles.
- Allow one to define default tabs with any value: right now it is
impossible to define them at less than 1.18 picas (or 0.2 inches or 0,5
cm). Using that default makes hanging indents very wide indeed.
- Make the whole process of defining hanging indents much simpler.
- Solve existing bugs in character style sheets.

Finally, one improvement in marketing is to better explain style sheets
and especially what to do with hanging bullets and numbering.

Yes, explaining "style sheets" and the use of "style sheets" have been the bane of ALL users across all uses. I wish there were a better way of working it out so that setting these up were more intuitive. But, once learned, style sheets are a powerful device to use. I am not at that point yet and have very little use so far to use/modify style sheets.

I believe this has always been on the LibO list of request and I doubt that there will ever be a great explanation, which is where the problem lies. If you can't explain it in a very short and concise manner then the process is too difficult. I alway go by the "3 steps" rule. Most individuals can retain to a maximum of "3 steps" after which it becomes more difficult to remember (try it yourself to see). The "style sheets" code/documentation should take this into account. If the steps to modify/create a style sheet are too numerous, then users will not use them, and worse, will complain about it. This, regardless of how a "terrific asset" it is to the suite.

Marc