On 16/10/10 20:48, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 7:18 PM, j.martin.pedersen
<m.pedersen@lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:

Hi,

LibreOffice is an exciting development!

As a Free Software user and advocate who spends time in academia this is
a crucial aspect of getting anyone to use LO:

As Writer developer I would be really interested in improving that...
though I have no idea of the requirements behing bibliographic works.
Would you be able to get some people helping to describe what needs to
be done? If you can find some other developers interested in hacking
that part, I'm ready to help them getting started!

Whenever you suggest OOo or now LO to academics and students, they ask:
"What about my Endnotes?"

Until there is an integrated GUI that somewhat looks and feels like -
and of course is 100% compatible with - Endnotes, social science and
humanities academics will never migrate. They are locked in. With a
great bibliographic component in LO, they could be unlocked.

Looking forward to seeing what will happen,

Just to add here that a new program for handling bibliographies is Mendeley,
http://www.mendeley.com/
which has packages for both 32-bit and 64-bit of Linux.
It can communicate with OOo, though I did not try this.

There is a wealth of options, somehow.  http://www.zotero.org/ is very
interesting. Moving to the browser level makes a lot of sense for
researchers - that's where you need it most of the time (auto-adding
PDFs, URIs etc.) and if connected to ISBN databases it can make life a
lot easier.

But Bibus: http://bibus-biblio.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
- last update in 2009.

and: http://bibliographic.openoffice.org/ - Last updated in 2008.

"List address   announce@bibliographic.openoffice.org
List description        A moderated mailing list for announce messages
Total messages  2"

This does not inspire confidence :)

My questions are:

What happened to the OOo Bibliography project?

And what are the many competing visions for a bibliographical system
that exist?

Finally, how can the Free Software world create a platform that
integrates all the best of existing systems in a cross-platform GUI that
is compatible with the dominant systems (Endnote etc.) and which
integrates with OOo, LO, and even that M$ Office thing and of course
Firefox or Zotero?

There should be a basis for a project with social and computing science
departments. The time is right for institutions to explore cuts in their
licensing costs. Always look on the bright side...