On 2010/10/09 3:47 PM  Bernhard Dippold wrote:
Larry Gusaas schrieb:
Then why did you set up Gmane in the first place? Why not do it properly
in the first place?

Because it's an external resource. Mailing lists are the center of our community's activity, so we can't give away it's maintenance again (we saw what happened in the past).

What would you be giving away? As for the past, I do not know what you mean. Gmane is the simplest way to follow OOo groups and would be the simplest way to follow this and other LibreOffice lists without having to deal with a ton of emails every day.

Are you referring to the problem of unsubscribed posters on OOo? That is a completely different issue.

Installing the Gmane lists took nearly one week - how should we have communicated after the announcement of the foundation?

Nowhere on http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.discuss or
on http://www.documentfoundation.org/contribution/ does it indicate that
you have to subscribe to the mailing list in order to post through Gmane.

So please tell them or change the information, if you can do it on your own.

I have no authority to do anything for Document Foundation.
I did send Gmane an email, according to the following instructions on http://gmane.org/post.php:

   If, however, the group is neither read-only nor non-public, Gmane will forward the message
   to the mailing list (after going through the authorization process described above). The
   message still might not be accepted by the mailing list. This is usually because the list
   really is non-public, but isn't marked as such in Gmane. If this happens to you, please
   send a short mail stating which group is affected to the Gmane administrators, and we'll
   fix the configuration.

I don't have the time to do so and it seems to be much more important to you.

It is important that people who prefer to use Gmane instead of receiving emails be able to do so simply. I originally subscribed to the email list. When Gmane became available, I started using it and unsubscribed to the list. When I couldn't post through Gmane I re-subscribed to the list. Later I unsubscribed again and then subscribed to the nomail list.

There is no indication on your webpage or on Gmane to indicate that you have to subscribe to the mailing list to post through Gmane, as I stated before. Indeed there should be no need to do so.

Having to jump through hoops like this and getting responses like yours lowers my desire to have any thing to do with Document Foundation

In fact Gmane explicitly states that you can post, both on the web page,
"Status posting allowed" and in the email Gmane sends after you
subscribe through this list through gmane "You are now authorized to
post to the gmane.comp.documentfoundation.discuss newsgroup."

As it was mentioned in two postings in this thread, this information should be changed at Gmane.

Could you please take care of this task?

I do not have any authority to do so.

--

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan   Canada