Hi Jon,

Jon Hamkins schrieb:
On 10/01/2010 11:31 AM, Bernhard Dippold wrote:
Kürti László schrieb:

I had some short chat with Oracle representatives they are stating official
ly:
""Oracle is investing substantial resources in OpenOffice.org.  With more
than one hundred million users, we believe OpenOffice.org is the most
advanced, most feature rich open source implementation and will strongly
encourage the Open Office community to continue to contribute through
www.openoffice.org.  However, the beauty of open source is that it can
be forked by anyone who chooses, as was done today.  Our sincerest goal
for Open Office is that it become more widely used so if this new
foundation will help advance Open Office and the Open Document Format we
wish them the best.""

This reaction from Oracle is also reported at:
http://www.crn.com/news/applications-os/227500950/openoffice-developers-split-from-oracle-create-own-organization.htm

In my opinion it means (at this very moment) that there will be OpenOffice.
org and LibreOffice as well.

Not necessarily:

They state:

"Oracle is investing substantials resources in OpenOffice.org"

I don't know if they mean the product (developers) or the community
(infrastructure) in this point

Their statement its pretty clear.  They are investing in OpenOffice.org,
they will continue to do so, and they invite developers to continue
contributing to OpenOffice.org (i.e., not to the fork called LibreOffice).

Where did you read this statement for the future?

As you cut off the main part of my message, you don't comment on the difference between "OpenOffice.org" and "Open Office".

They surely will continue investing in "Oracle Open Office", their proprietary distribution of OpenOffice.org as they make money of it.

It might be possible, that they plan to keep investing in OpenOffice.org, but this has not been stated here.

I am not part of the "Open Office Community", but of the "OpenOffice.org
Community".

Even if I still hope for the trademark to be given back to us, this
message is at least a sign in a dedicated direction. :-(

The statement from Oracle implies they are keeping the trademark,[...]

That's your assumption - and possibly that's what they want us to believe and react.

And afterwards they can say, that we didn't want the trademark back.

It's *our* trademark, handed over to Sun for legal claims reasons (as we didn't have a foundation that could take care of them in the past).

If they are honest in supporting OpenOffice.org, they should show this by giving it back to the community IMHO.

[...]   It's a big problem, because LibreOffice needs to
start from scratch in building name recognition and overcoming
confusion.

That's right - there are some FAQ already on the website, where we should point people to:
http://www.documentfoundation.org/faq/

 We can no longer claim "XXX million downloads,"

We still can - we just need to change the wording "further development of the X00 million download suite" ....

and since
Oracle will still be developing OpenOffice.org, there will be an
additional burden of explaining the difference between OOo and LO to users.

If they do, this is true...

Best regards

Bernhard