On 2011-12-14 6:41 PM, Florian Effenberger <floeff@documentfoundation.org> wrote:
So, my point is the following:

- I have people strongly asking for disabling reply-to mangling, e.g. on
the website list.

- I have people strongly asking for leaving reply-to mangling as is.

- So, whatever I do, someone will be upset.

- I myself would like to keep reply-to mangling as is, as I have set it
up for good reasons.

- We have been discussing that issue for two months now without any
clear result, it still is that some people want it, some don't.

So, what shall I do? Flip a coin?

On the dovecot mail list, the user can CHOOSE whether or not reply-to mangling is used. So, the best of both worlds. I believe they are using mailman for the list server.

I understand there are technical reasons (mainly to do with the ability of list admins to have their own separate passwords) that you don't want to use mailman, but these problems are all solved by the up and coming mailman3.

So, my proposal is to DEFER this decision until after mailman3 is released, migrate the lists to mailman3, then simply document how individual list subscribers can choose their poison.

I'd also suggest that the DEFAULT be to enable reply-to mangling, and explain to the user how they can change this in the welcom emessage that is sent.

Charles