Hi Harold, *,

Am 30.11.2011 11:59 schrieb Harold Fuchs:

I think the idea that a simple "Reply" should only go the OP is very poor:

Thanks for uncovering other contributor's real nature, who have
different opinion|experience.

Great to see You're not affected..

1. People will not be able to see whether or not a question has been
answered, or if it has been answered "well".
2. People who didn't ask the question might nevertheless be interested
in [some aspect(s) of] the answer but they won't get it.
3. Many of the people who ask questions are not technically familiar
with the intricacies of e-mail. Thus, if they have a follow up to an
answer and just hit Reply (which they will because they don't know
"better"), that follow up will *only* go to the person who responded to
the original question instead of to the list.
4. In general the scheme will proliferate "private" conversations which
is the exact opposite of the intention behind using a list.
5. If you want this sort of behaviour, use a *forum* where the
questioner can "subscribe" to only his/her question threads

You describe a scenario of people with zero experience in mailinglist
discussion. These definitely are a minority, where a significant part of
is willing to learn how to do well. As mentioned earlier: technical
reply issues are *one* of several things to learn to handle.

Perhaps for "expert" groups like Dev, the idea *might* be OK

Things to learn to reply in a useful way, don't require expert skills.
Ideally its a matter of learning a handful *simple* rules, to handle
*all* situations.

but for the lists designed for general support I really don't think it
is sensible.

If You define "providing advice for people not related to the project
work" as "general support" You're right. But there are many community
people who already expressed their opinion, mailinglists not being the
best choice for that - I'm one of those ;o)).

Gruß/regards
--
Friedrich Strohmaier
Melchingen/Germany ;o))