Hi Stefan, *,

I am bit cautious not to sound offensive because this issue is kind of
religious ;o))

Am 26.11.2011 09:06 schrieb Stefan Weigel:
Am 23.11.2011 23:45, schrieb Friedrich Strohmaier:

After getting reports about serious issues hindering efficient mail
communication through the recent practiced "reply-to mangling" on our
mailing lists, we from tech team are going for a test setup, switching
it off for one - most likely this one.
We expect to grow our wisdom about the upcoming effects. :o))

There sure will be effects. But it is not sure, that we will
recognize the effects here on the list.

I am subscribed to some mailing lists, that do not modify the
reply-to header. Communication on these lists usually looks like this:

* Other subscribers send their reply to user@domain.tld.

* On the list, it looks like if there were no answers at all.

Well, "usually" is a big word here. Looking at our developers list
(libreoffice@lists.freedesktop.org) those kind of problems don't seem to
exist. I don't have numbers, but I think some 200 to 300 subscribers
might be reasonable. It's high traffic and after my observations has
very low rate of posting style issues making reading a pain as are full
quote, top posting, ..

* The poster of the question does get some answers, but does not
realize, that she is the only one, who received them.

So you claim reply-to mangling beeing the only or most apropriate means
to solve the above mentioned problem. Do I get that correct?

Remember: I asked for help to make it easier to get useful advice how to
contribute mailinglist discussions in a useful way. ;o))

When you do this test, how will you find out, how often someone sent
an answer to the user accidentally, instead of sending it to the list?

One way could be, make people aware that issue and encourage them to
report about.  ;o))

More from my part later on tomorrow. My computer is now required as
movie display ;o))

Gruß/regards
--
Friedrich