Hi NoOp, *,

Am 30.11.2011 04:50 schrieb NoOp:
On 11/28/2011 08:23 AM, Michael Meeks wrote:

[..]

     * make it easy for new and peripherally involved users to get
       replies to their casual E-mails without doing a long list of
       operations.

     Where by a long list of operations, I mean, that in order to get a
reply to your mail/question, first you need to:

[.. trimmed the referenced paragraph ..]

You've obviously never spent time on the OOo user & discuss lists...

[.. bad experience with above use case ..]

I subscribe to over 80 lists (via gmane.org)

Using a nntp-client You are not affected by the change..

and respond regularly to 10-15 daily. Were I required to adjust my
standard 'Reply' to specifically reply to the list rather than the
individual poster I'd have to make major modifications to my client
(SeaMonkey).

Would You consider to do that change if You knew making life easier for
*many* community co-members by doing so?

Anyways - You don't have to ;o))

I view and respond to a list, not to individual posters.

There are so many pro and cons regarding that, how about having it most
easy *for both sides* to follow their believing?

Further, the changes that you are requesting (if I understand them
correctly)

You probably don't.. The change in question only concerns reverting
the setting of the "reply-to: $list" header added by the mailinglist
software to each message sent.

would mean that I'd then have an additional, direct email in
my inbox from each list poster when I've specifically chosen to view &
respond via an nntp source (gmane.org) rather than list email.

No. This can happen if accidently a poster uses "reply to all" instead
of "reply-to-list", without trimming the posters address.

Your request now places the burden on each list user to make changes
in order to avoid responding to the list poster and instead reply to
the list in general.

No. Only those using "reply" instead of "reply-to-list" have to change
their habits (which admittedly might cause some annoyance during the
changing period).

[.. general mailinglist access proposal ..]

If you wish to reply to each poster individually, then perhaps you can
modify Evolution 3.0.2 to conform to Reply and 'Reply All' to suit your
requirements.

Thats the reason the change will be done: Make Your mail software work
how it's intended to work, regardless which one.

-1

Wrong assumption?

Gruß/regards
Friedrich