Hi Michael,

Michael Meeks schrieb:
Hi guys,

On Fri, 2011-11-25 at 22:19 +0100, Stefan Weigel wrote:
 From my point of view, the mailing list is the sender.
When I hit the "Reply" button, this has to go back to the sender,
who sent that to me, which is the mailing list and not Regina.

        Sure sure. But you must get mail every day that is CC'd to several
people. Surely you get to understand the difference between "Reply" and
"Reply to all" ? the latter will keep the CC.

        At the end of the day, IMHO all this comes down to a simple choice:

        * make it easy for established list users to avoid having to
          think whom they want to reply to, and needing to press
          ctrl-shift-r vs. ctrl-r (or whatever)
or
        * make it easy for new and peripherally involved users to get
          replies to their casual E-mails without doing a long list of
          operations.

        Where by a long list of operations, I mean, that in order to get a
reply to your mail/question, first you need to:

        a) be clueful and know you havn't a chance of getting a reply
        b) send a mail to subscribe-foo@a.b.c
        c) wait for the reply
        d) confirm acceptance of mailing list
        e) while (time<  max_time_wait_for_any_reply) {
                f) recieve mail, delete uninteresting messages
                g) read&  respond to tiny minority of messages that
                   are a reply to your query.
        h) } send a mail to unsuscribe-foo@a.b.c

        In my view, most people fall down at a) - they just never appear to get
a reply to their message. To ask someone to do steps b->i in order to
interact with us is one that strangles community IMHO.

I see no problem for this steps. That has worked all the time for our German OOo-lists, so why shouldn't it work for an international list? Users get a reply from the list moderator which describes what to do. Those with support requests who do not like mailing lists, will use a forum. If someone really wants to participate regularly, he needs to subscribe anyway.

Kind regards
Regina