On 10/28/11 4:16 PM, Cor Nouws wrote:
Hi,

I noticed that the old users forums from OOo are not available any more.
I was not a frequent visitor, but helped a bit with questions (on the
Dutch language version) now and then. There was a mixture of questions
related to OOo and of course increasingly LibreOffice.

<snip>

I've been reading this thread as it has developed, and will admit, the technical aspects of the discussion are well over my head.

My interest in the discussion was not the technical issues of who does this, how LO help areas are interfaced with others, where this or that is stored, but what does the average user discover when he/she comes to the LO or TDF website in search of help.

With all due respect to those reading this message and using the LO mailing lists, regardless of how they access the mailing list, you are *not* the average user I encounter.

IMO, when a person finally figures out what's going on with the help system at LO, it is the best overall system I've seen in years. (The website needs a lot of help, IMO. :-) )

What I like about LO's overall help system is any individual can access *all* community help efforts regardless of the method of help the user prefers. Although, it's not always easy. :-)

If you prefer your help system to be a mailing list, that's available directly from LO.

If you prefer your help system to be a forum, that's available through the Nabble interface and Gmane.

If you like the threaded type view, it's available through LO, and Gmane, with varying degrees of sophistication vs. ease of use.

If you prefer printed documentation, it's available via the various guides available on LO's website.

Regardless of the technical issues discussed in this thread, if you maintain the 4 above methods of obtaining help, or equivalents to those options, you will be ahead of everyone else's help system I've used.

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.6.8
Firefox 7.0.1