Le 2011-10-29 08:55, Jonathan Aquilina a écrit :
Hi Jonathan,

Jonathan Aquilina wrote on 2011-10-29 14:33:
I am more then willing to volunteer a section on my forums for
Libreoffice and the TDF discussion and support as well. I am using phpbb
for the forums though :(

thanks a lot for that offer. If we, however, decide for TDF forums, I
then would like to host our own ones, within our infrastructure.

We have other choices, of course, one of them being to use one of the
existing forums and appoint them as "official". As I understand it,
the reason of this thread is to find out whether we should go for
hosting our own ones.

If we decide to, I would be more than happy of course of having you as
a contributor there. ;-)

Florian

If you opt to name one as an official TDF mirror it wont take me a
second to setup a TDF section and LO section for use.

I am wondering though if you go for self hosted solution i am wondering
instead of using a seperate user login to login to the forums if one has
an account to edit the wiki lets say can that be used for existing
users, as well as allowing those users who dont edit the wiki to sign up
for an account through the forums and end up as contributors as well for
the wiki if they need it down the road?

Regards

Jonathan Aquilina

I would favour TDF/LibreOffice forums service using OpenID support[1]. Drew's Nabble site has shown that we can run forums and in fact, most likely, the moderators who do the work there, may want to keep moderating on our own forums. The moderators, and, especially Drew have done a wonderful job of it. BTW, I don't think we have done this often enough, but, thanks to all of these people. I personally don't think that we would have any problems finding moderators for a forums if we need any. Our community will "step up to the plate" if there is a call for help for forums moderators.

Of course we would have to tie everything in with the mailing lists and gmane so that all communication is done seamlessly.

As for the duplication of forums services at TDF/LibreOffice, Apache and community-run forums. I don't think there is any way to avoid the problem of an overall general shake-out where there will be a period of anarchy in the office suite forums service. This is an eventuality that we have all been putting off. The reality of the matter is that, whoever has the largest user-base and the best service will gain the most use. Such is nature of the "forums beast". This should be enough incentive for us to offer an unbiased approach to a forums service and moderate with the utmost of fairness. If we want to run forums we need to run them really well and keep in mind that the overlying rule is that we want to "community build" and not scare users away.

Cheers,

Marc

[1] http://openid.net/