--- On Thu, 6/23/11, Marc Paré <marc@marcpare.com> wrote:

From: Marc Paré <marc@marcpare.com>
Subject: Re: [tdf-discuss] New "LibreOffice Reader" Eliminates Need for "PDF Reader"
To: discuss@documentfoundation.org
Date: Thursday, June 23, 2011, 3:32 PM
Hi Antonio

Le 2011-06-23 18:05, Antonio Olivares a écrit :

Marc,

Idea sounds good, but there is also another competitor
out there to the famous PDF :

http://djvu.sourceforge.net/

How about adding editing/viewing djvu compatibility to
LibreOffice too?

I for one (except under windows) use
evince/okular/xpdf or other free viewers out there as
opposed to using Acrobat Reader :)  Having LibreOffice
open word/excel/powerpoint/pdf is excellent, but adding djvu
will also enhance it and make it even better (others don't
have this capability).  But keep the full suite, don't
worry about a reader some folks already have a odt/doc/xls
viewer on the windows side:

http://www.officeviewers.com/

Someone mentioned this, I think that it would be not
necessary to ask programmer to make a reader?  Doing
more work when other similar software exists?
Unless if that software is (NOT FREE)/(OPEN SOURCE),
there would be little to no gains if a LibreOffice Reader is
created?

BTW
I am a LibreOffice user not a programmer and happily
use it on Windows, Linux, and FreeBSD.

Just my $0.02.

Regards,

Antonio

I also use Okular, although, I have found some cases where
it would not
print some .pdf's correctly. Djvu is neat, however, it is
still
struggling trying to make headway in being adopted.

I think it was mentioned that there were at one point over
100 million
LibreOffice/OOo users. If we were to develop our own
"LibreOffice
Reader" we would already have 100 million potential users
for our
product. Not only that, the LibreOffice Reader would be
compatible with
the LibreOffice suite and possibly code. This would give
the LibO Reader
a good start.

Cheers

Marc

--

@Mark & others

I like the idea, don't get me wrong.  But sadly it is hard for developers out there to make just a
viewer when some other folks have that :( already.  It would be nice if more people, sed -i
's|people|users|g' out there would use the OpenDocument format (*.odt) and not pdf to share
documents, then the idea would become more intriguing.  This new viewer would have to compete
against those viewers that exist plus Google Docs :(, which I don't know if it* supports
OpenDocument Format (*.odt) files?

Sadly, it is *very difficult* to change people's minds when it comes to document standards and
formats.  I agree with folks that mention that Adobe has become a **bloated monster** that used to
be lean and excellent, and with its increasing bloat there also comes security issues and constant
updates :(

My $0.04 (previous $0.02 + this $0.02) don't add sales tax please :)

Regards,

Antonio