On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 12:17, M Henri Day <mhenriday@gmail.com> wrote:
2011/6/8 Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com>
The 2nd is that the ASF accept the grant and simply place the
tarball on a server somewhere and say "here it is." The ASF
would let the OOo trademark die.

I've said elsewhere (and earlier in this thread) that this option
would be my favorite.

Jim, thank you for your considered - and considerate ! - reply. The
circumstances being what they are, would not the best path for ASF to
take(as seems to me to be the case) be
to accept the grant (in the event Oracle is offering it *nulla condicione
astrictus*) and then donate both the code and the trademark to TDF, given
the great work that the latter has been doing on LibreOffice ?...

We do not have a transferable right on the software grant. So we can't
"give" the code to TDF. We certainly can provide the code under the
ALv2 license for TDF to pick up.

We don't have the OOo trademark or website yet, but I believe we'll be
getting rights to those. Should things fall apart in the Apache
project, then yeah... we'd be interested in transferring those away.
But it looks like we want to give the project a chance to succeed, so
such a transfer would be premature right now.

Cheers,
-g