On 4/05/11 7:13 AM, Christophe Strobbe wrote:
Hi Ben,

Sorry for my late response; it seems I missed this mail last Friday.

Quite alright, things do get a bit hectic from time to time.

There is a list of software-based DAISY players in the Wikipedia
article on DAISY:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DAISY_Digital_Talking_Book#Software_players>.
I try to update it when I find something new.  Hardware DAISY
players also exist, but they aren't cheap.

Cool.  Thus far I've just listened to the MP3s it generates in a
regular media player, but I'm not a fan of the synthetic voices.  If
there's no alternative, then sure, but I prefer a real audio book
there.  Obviously that tends to be more expensive to produce, though,
unless one is reading one's own work.

Appropriate use of styles and headings was already looking like it
would be necessary for ePub and other things anyway.  I take it
with regards to the language marking you're referring to specifying
the language for a document or paragraph (rather than just the
default language of LibreOffice), right?

Yes, that is correct.

Cool.

Is there a guide somewhere of the right document/page/paragraph
attributes needed to generate decent DAISY documents?

I made a presentation about this at FOSDEM in February of this
year. My slides are on Slideshare at
<http://www.slideshare.net/aegisproject/fosdem-2011-a11y-authoring-libre-office>
but I can also send them off-list.

If you could email them to me, that'd be great.

There is more detailed guidance on accessible authoring (not geared
at DAISY) from the "Accessible Digital Office Document (ADOD)
Project": <http://adod.idrc.ocad.ca/>. Their techniques for
OpenOffice.org also apply to LibreOffice. (And they also cover MS
Word, Google Docs, Corel WordPerfect, iWork; it's an impressive set
of documents.)

That's very cool, I've grabbed all the OOo ones and bookmarked the
site for future reference.

Regards,
Ben