Hi Christoph,
Hi Johannes,

having monitored the discussion on the German list as well :-)

Am Dienstag, den 08.02.2011, 22:28 +0100 schrieb Johannes A. Bodwing:
Hello,

what does "access" mean in the manifesto: "to eliminate the digital
divide in society by giving everyone access to office productivity tools
free of charge to enable them to participate as full citizens in the
21st century"
Is it only the possibility for someone to download from TDF/LO-Sites or
a more active way like a distribution by pre-installed LO on PC too?
What does TDF really/precisely understand with "access"?
The topline states "WE COMMIT OURSELVES" - so I interpret these as our
general goals. More detailed, being the "final state" we are heading to.
Does this tell us how to reach these goals? Not really ... so access is
primarily meant to be "make available", maybe even your "bring to the
people" (in terms of: make people aware of that).

How we reach that goal is a personal matter, or better, related to the
local infrastructure. So whether this might be a CD in a magazine, a
copy by friends, a download, or a pre-installed version (e.g. with
GNU/Linux based distributions) - it doesn't matter, as long as we come
closer to our initial goal.

The manifesto should rather be our guiding principle - not so much a
cookbook ;-) In the case above, I assume the local marketing teams will
figure out a way to distribute LibreOffice ... to suit the needs of that
many people.

Does this help?

I'm feeling like stumbling through the fog. If I look at words like "independent ...", then is it enough to make people aware of LO? Or should there be a more active way like: What, you have a lousy internet connection? Try it in Internet-Café "netlink", XY-Street 45. Use a 500-MB-Stick to download your personel LO, and so on.

Greetings,
Johannes