On 2/7/11 6:49 AM, Florian Effenberger wrote:

o The drawback of a Germany-based Foundation is that we need at least 50.000 € for the capital stock, ideally it is even 100.000 €. That money can not be used for daily work, but needs to stay in the stock. This is required for the safety of a Germany-based model.

I have set up a dedicated wiki page for collecting ideas at http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF/Foundation_Fundraising#Ideas and would like to encourage all of you to add and contribute ideas. As the deadline is approaching quickly, we need to start acting soon in order to get things up and running, and any help is very much welcome.

rather than expend resources on re-inventing the wheel, why not use Kickstarter? You set a fundraising goal, a deadline, and can add videos, links and blog posts to the project.

The original team of four New York University students who came up with the idea for Diaspora set up a page on kickstarter seeking 10,000 USD and ended up with $200,641. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/196017994/diaspora-the-personally-controlled-do-it-all-distr

Of course at the time millions of people were upset with Facebook privacy issues and the creepy ways in which personal data gets "monetized" as targeted ads. So the Diaspora project ended up with 6,479 backers, and also attracted phenomenal project-management and infrastructure support. So I would not predict similar results but I feel it would be worth a shot. Another project to produce a documentary about a photographer whose works were recently, accidentally discovered had a goal of $10,000 and so far, with 35 days to go, has raised $83,017.

One "plus" of Kickstarter is that if the project does not meet its goal backers' credit cards are not charged. If tdf ends up building its own page or using some other pre-existing fundraising platform that charges credit cards immediately, you must decide (and advise backers in advance) what will be done with the funds if the minimum 50K euros goal is not met. And be sure to provide Share to FB and Twitter capability...

kazar