Hi everyone,

2011/1/7 Fabián Rodríguez <magicfab@member.fsf.org>

On 11-01-06 11:16 PM, Larry Gusaas wrote:

On 2011/01/06 9:57 PM  todd rme wrote:
I do find it bizarre that people are so up in arms about OOXML but
seem to have no complaints with Apple's blatant attempts to have total
control over the software you are allowed to install on your own
computer.

Apple does not control what software I install on my computer. Quit
spreading such BS.

Larry

You're right, at least for now. Apple controls its OS and its updates,
which effectively can control which apps go on your computer (or not).
IMO, it's only a matter of time before such restrictions happen, just
like iPhone and iPad (which *for now* are bypassed with Cydia..). For
all the effort this may take, at some point Apple may well decide to
remove LibreOffice or break it as part of a "security upgrade". I am not
going into that discussion as even passing the App Store requirements is
almost guaranteed to fail.

I disagree. If LibreOffice is in the App Store, then it means that many more
people will see, download, and use LibreOffice (don't forget that
LibreOffice is still unknown to a vast majority of the world). Even if
LibreOffice is in the App Store for a little while, it will still make a
difference.

As for the ethics question, I'd say adding LibreOffice to the App Store is
just as ethical as having a LibreOffice version for Windows. It's not that
LibreOffice wants to support Microsoft's platform or devalue the Linux
platform, but rather that having a Windows version of LibO puts the suite
into the hands of more people. The App Store would do the same thing -- put
LibO into the hands of more people.

Back to the initial suggestion of adding LibreOffice to the AppStore,
just look at NeoOffice's take on it:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8290&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

"1. NeoOffice uses Java so it is very likely to be rejected since Apple has
publicly stated that they will not approve Java applications for the App
Store"
This is the only major problem I see. On the other hand, I heard LibO wants
to phase out Java (and I hope it does), so hopefully this is just a
temporary problem.

"2. There is no ability for patching that I can see so patches would still
need to be done the existing way"
What's wrong with the existing way?

"3. There is no optional donation support that I can see and even if there
is, Apple takes a 30% cut"
The same goes for all the software centers in Linux, I believe (although I
know Ubuntu Software Center has a donation button in plans). But hey, the
more people learn about LibreOffice, the more people will visit its website
and donate. More users means more donations.

Not much point in wasting any more time on this (again, IMO).

Cheers,

Fabian

--
LibreOffice questions ? Des questions sur LibreOffice ? Preguntas acerca
de LibreOffice ? Ask LibreOffice: http://libreoffice.shapado.com/