On 02/01/11 18:49, Craig A. Eddy wrote:
I'm trying to get you to understand that there are copyright and patent
issues here that could embroil LO in legal battles that it really
doesn't need.

Just out of curiosity, were Microsoft to enforce their copyright over
their version of OOXML, is it not proper legal etiquette to request
removal of the offending code *before* taking the issue to court? If
that is the case, LibO could simply remove the offending code in an
update and publicise this new-found lack of interoperability with
Microsoft Office is a direct result Microsoft’s litigious behaviour.
Such would be a public relations nightmare for Microsoft would it not,
and against its own best interests.

Also, are there any previous cases where a proprietary standard has been
withdrawn or locked down via legal action such as this?

Lee Hyde.

--
"We Americans claim to be a peace-loving people. We hate bloodshed; we
are opposed to violence. Yet we go into spasms of joy over the

        -- Emma Goldman, What is Patriotism? (1908)