Maybe saving in ...x formats should be disabled by default so that the user must make a conscious decision to allow them.

But to some extent this discussion misses two key points:

1) Application quality
The default de-facto format will inevitably follow the dominant application. It's probably impossible to be a frequent OOO/LibO user without meeting serious bugs and having ones own list of things that need to be fixed. I certainly have mine. My professional experience with MSO was quite different, ie almost no troubling bugs. Apart from any other consideration, for pretty well any commercial organisation, the resulting support/user hassle cost of adopting OOO/LibO far exceeds the cost of adopting MSO, even from scratch for a new organisation. To illustrate the problem, you just need to inspect the OOO P2 issues which are regularly postponed release after release. Regretfully, for this reason it is very difficult to claim that OOO/LibO is a professional level application. When it is, many more users will flock to it and the format battle is much more likely to resolve itself in favour of ODF.

2) Chrome OS
In 2011 people will be buying notebooks without hard disks running Chrome OS, certainly cheaper including much lower support costs, probably faster too, and these users will be able to work cooperatively with their data entirely in the cloud. Perhaps >90% of users will potentially no longer need MSO, OOO, LibO or any of the associated formats. It's hard to say whether this will be game changing or just very important, it will depend on how well it works in practice, but given the self-evident quality and astonishing rate of development of Google's applications, my money is on game changing.

Mike Hall