I have come into this thread a little late but i may just have a slightly
clearer view of things.  In the world of office suites, MS almost has a
monopoly.  They have the power to to make their formats the standard.  IF
LibreOffice pulls .docx support then people WONT congratulate us on the
strength of our morals.  They will instead see an 'office suite' that
doesn't support the formats they have and will go "Well thats USELESS" and
delete it from their system and install an office suite which DOES have
support, which in this case is MSO thus strengthening MS position in the
market.  This is the opposite of what we want to happen with LibreOffice.
 The validity of the standard and the fact that its a proprietary format
aside, if LibreOffice doesn't play ball, the we get shoved of the court.

As a side note, I find it slightly hypocritical that the original poster
advocates going back to OO.o, which is now controlled by Oracle who are in a
bigger campaign of open-source destruction than MS is at the moment, because
we happen to support a format that is used by 80+% of all 'Office Suite'
users.  Its kinda like going to the gStreamer forums and saying "I'm going
to iTunes because you support WMA".