----- Original Message ----

From: Barbara Duprey <Barb@onr.com>
<snip>
We need to force MS to support ODF - as others have  pointed out ODF is
quickly
becoming the world standard at least at the  government level - which means
in a
few years most organizations that  support governments will need to support
ODF
too, and a few years after  that organizations that support those
organizations,
and so forth. MS  has lost the file format battle to ODF - it's just time
before
OOXML  (especially) and their legacy formats are gone.

Unfortunately, MS now  claims that it *does* support ODF, reading and writing
files with the ODF  extensions. But users attempting interoperability will soon
discover that the MS  implementation is not really compatible with other ODF
implementations (most  notably in spreadsheet formulas, but not just that). I
think the MS plan here is  to say that *they've* got the true standard
implementation and everybody else is  wrong. Since that (basically proprietary)
version of ODF is now distributed as  part of MS Office, it's just about
everywhere, so they have the numbers on their  side. That seems to leave
everybody else once again playing "catch-up" with MS,  which can then simply do
as it pleases with the standard, being the 600-pound  gorilla in the room.
Interoperability issues will than be charged against the  non-MS implementation,
making it "safer" for organizations to stay with MS. Am I  being unduly
pessimistic here?

True, they do have a plug-in available to support ODF, but (last I checked) it
is not part of the default install - you must install it separately, and it only
supports Office 2007 and later, while they pushed OOXML support out to Office
2003 and possibly earlier versions too.

However, they do not (again at least last I checked) let you save it via the
normal means, e.g. Save/Save As dialog, and you cannot make it the default.
They also follow only the 1.0 or may be the 1.1 version that made it through ISO
refusing to do anything that is not in the ISO version, and then doing it in a
rather broken manner.

However, they are not the 600-pound gorilla in the ODF market given the dozens
of implementations that more or less agree on how most things should be done.

For instance, unlike all other implementations (again last I checked) MS wrote
the value of the cell to the normal location for an ODS spreadsheet while
writing the formula to a MS Office specific namespace - whereas everyone else
write the formula to the cell location and not application specific namespaces.
Effectively making MS Office ODF files non-interoperable with everyone else. I
think they may also drop all other application specific data too; or may be they
were kind enough to leave that intact, don't remember on that front. Conversely,
I think there is likely enough interoperable software out there that it can be
easily pointed out that MS has the broken implementation in such cases.

Ben