Il 31/12/2010 11:32, M. Fioretti ha scritto:
On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 10:07:30 AM +0000, Gordon Burgess-Parker
(gbplinux@gmail.com) wrote:

None of you get the point, do you.
1. It is arrogant to return a document in a format different to that
which was sent to you.

arrogant my foot. If somebody smokes in my face it is not arrogant to
tell him/her to stop. It is my right, period.

yes it is your right, but to not be smoked on your face is seen as your
right by others (even if "other" is your boss), but to send a document
in another format (mainly if the receiver is your boss or customer)
isn't seen as your right

For the very same reason, if people send you a document in a
proprietary format you are not arrogant to complain, you would be
wrong to _not_ complain. What is arrogant is sending proprietary
formats when you could avoid it, even after others have explained how
wrong it is.

Then of course, keep tolerating and using a proprietary format may be
still practically _unavoidable_ in many cases, no question about it. I
am in several of those cases myself.

But it would be really wrong to always do this by _default_, without
even trying to inform who is doing it that they ARE OBJECTIVELY WRONG
and that they should stop, because they're creating problems to
themselves and every other user of the files they produce, by using
formats that give cocain-like addiction:

http://stop.zona-m.net/?p=367

(That's why email clients always reply in the same format in which
the original message was received)

wrong. Mine (mutt) doesn't for example, and even in Thunderbird this
is an option, not an "always on" uncheangeble behavior. And EVEN if it
were true, it would be a wrong comparison, because with email the
choice is between formats that are both open (plain text or HTML).

Marco F.