Quoting Steven Shelton:

I'm reluctant to download the beta since the Web site says it
will overwrite my existing Oo and I don't have an available
spare machine at the moment. I'll see if I can free up one and
try it.

I am not sure if this is still the case. Maybe someone else can
comment on this? I thought it was fixed in Beta2.

This is fixed in Beta 2.

Then the Web site needs updating. It still says: "Be advised that the
current beta might replace your OpenOffice.org installation."

However, LibO crashes constantly on my Windows XP box. I tried to use
it for a bit to test it, and the crashes were so frequent it was
entirely unusable.

I finally downloaded it to my standby machine (I *never* install
beta versions of anything on my main box), with Win 7 Home Premium.
Seems to run OK but I haven't had time to do anything meaningful
with it yet.

P.