On 2010-11-02 11:48 AM, Peter Rodwell wrote:
There are two reasons why I have just paid money to upgrade to Office
2010 instead of switching to OO/LO:

1. Complete file compatibility. I frequently handle documents with
very complex formatting. These come from my clients, all of whom use
MS Office. I translate and edit the documents and return them. They
*must* retain 100% of the original formatting. So far this has not
been the case with Oo.

Of course there are formatting problems with OOo when opening some MSO
documents... but, in my experience, OOo has *less* formatting problems
across all different versions of MSO than MSO itself does.

In other words, Office 2010 *will* have formatting problems with
documents in older versions... and OOo often does a *better* job in many
of those cases.

What I would like to see is a web form/system dedicated solely to
improving the LibO <> MSO filters - ie, for reporting problem documents.
Just a text box for describing the problem, and a 'Browse' button to
locate the file for upload...

2. Search and replace. I work with large documents, often 400+ pages.
As I'm translating, I usually come across a word or phrase that I
know will be repeated throughout the document so I search and replace
it to avoid having to type it continuously. I do this *dozens* of
times a day. MS Word leaves me where I was when I did the S/R so that
I can continue working. Oo leaves me at the point of the last replace
so I have to manually go back to where I was. I know of many people
for whom this is a dealbreaker -- they won't move to Oo/LO until this
is fixed.

Sounds like a good candidate for an extension...

--

Best regards,

Charles