Hey,

Here's what I think the whole style and document setup should look
like. It's done very quickly in Inkscape, so don't expect anything
spectacular. Still, I hope you get the general idea.
http://bausch-lai.de/img_ex/LibO/draft-styler.png
- There's a central place for the style setup, much like the current
window (I don't remember how it was called in English), but fancier
and more to the point.
- On the left there are style classes, predefined and custom ones
- This window is easily accessible, much like the current "direct style" things
- Styling is relative and inherits from parent (changes to the
inherited things should be marked somehow, e.g. by a small icon)
- You can import them from other documents
- They are categorized: Paragraphs, Tables, Images

Now, I think that direct formatting should behave as follows:
- If you mark a word and want it red, you simply change its color
- The style manager creates a new style, inherited from the
surrounding words' styles (maybe in a new section "auto styles" or
something along these lines) or some kind of class that only affects
this property, like color: red (much like css works).
- You get a dropdown in your direct formatting toolbar showing "recent styles"

What do you think?

Joey