Hi Michel,

2010/10/16 Michel Gagnon <michel@mgagnon.net>

Le 2010-10-15 16:29, Mirek M. a écrit :

Hi Michel,

That gives me a lot to respond to -- I'll try to be as concise as
possible.
a) Why the change in menu categorization? Because the old one wasn't good
enough. "File" contained tools that applied to both the currently-opened
file and to the office suite as a whole. "Edit" and "Tools" menus held
miscellaneous commands. There were commands under "Table" that weren't
specific to tables. It was a mess. But if anyone wants to revert back to
the
classic UI, there definitely should be an option to do so.
b) I agree -- the Ribbon UI is less than ideal.
c) The interface definitely should be as flexible as possible.
d) Please read
http://clickortap.wordpress.com/2010/10/15/the-citrus-menu/ :
I think it might answer some of your concerns.

I just read your second post on the subject. It seems more promising than
the first post. I am not a fan of black menus, which I find them gorgeous,
but harder to read. Maybe that's a problem with my half-a-century old eyes.

:) That's okay. My mock-up centered around Ubuntu's Ambiance theme, which
has dark menus. The theme should be different for Windows, Mac OS X, and
various Linux themes.

Still, while the traditional menu system isn't perfect, I don't consider it
a disaster. Whether the traditional menu approach or a newer one is used, we
should make sure that we *improve* on the structure of menus and on the user
experience, whether it's for occasional users or power users.

Right now, when I do word processing, compatibility issues often force me
to use Microsoft Office. But when I have the choice, I tend to prefer
Microsoft Office 2003 for short documents (it's easier to define pages,
styles, move illustrations...), but OpenOffice for anything above 20 pages
(user-defined variables are easier to define and styles are easier to
define).

Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

--