Gianluca,

Le Sun, 31 Oct 2010 14:08:37 +0100,
Gianluca Turconi <ml@letturefantastiche.com> a écrit :

Thanks to you and André for your replies.

See below for further comments.

Il 31/10/2010 12.52, Charles-H. Schulz ha scritto:

[...]

I think your question would be better asked to the developers'
mailing list, but I will nonetheless try to answer it here:
- there is no extended ODF version, unless of course you refer to
the "extended" ODF format used in OpenOffice.org. This specific
version had been enabled and was a vendor specific one because it
was essentially the subsequent drafts of the ODF 1.2 specification
that were implemented by OpenOffice.org. Once ODF 1.2 will be fully
out, there will be no extended version, but only extended as in
   "subsequent draft specification".

Well, this is the reason why I spoke about *future* LibO version. ;-)

IMO, it isn't only a question about "better defaults", but a real
turning point for LibO.

I'll try to clarify my point of view.

Let's say that by the time ODF 1.2 will be out, every feature
currently supported from LibO will be in ODF specification too. That
would be simply great.

Then, what?

Will LibO 4.0/5.0 stay at ODF 1.2 until ODF 2.0 (or whatever version)
will be officially approved, becoming so the "Lingua Franca" in
exchanging documents for people and organizations or will LibO try to
implement more features that *may* be included in ODF 2.0, becoming
so a technical cutting edge application?

They are two completely different visions of the project, I think.

I hope you understand what my point is, here.

So there are two things to understand here, aside the fact that you're
asking a question which I think will have to be decided on the future;
yet the principle is, if we have an ISO standard, why shouldn't we
implement it? Now:
- ODF does not change very quickly (it's a standard)
- ODF is forward-compatible, meaning: ODF 1.0 has X features, ODF 1.2
  will always have X +3 or 4 features, which means that unless you use
  these 3 or 4 features, you will always use the X feature set anyway.

In a nutshell: the answer can be political, or practical (every other
implementation uses a certain version, etc.) but it does not
fundamentally affect users for the moment.

best,

Charles.

Regards,

Gianluca